Saturday, February 20, 2010

movie review - shutter island...

Based on the 2003 novel of the same name by Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island is directed by the legendary Martin Scoresese, and stars Leonardo Di Caprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley (one of my favourite actors), and Michelle Williams, all of them brilliantly cast IMO. Set in 1954, the movie follows the story of US Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, as they travel to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane, to investigate the escape and disappearance of a patient.

This was possibly one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. I found it absolutely chilling. It takes a lot to scare me in a movie - I am not frightened by ghosts or vampires or any other sort of mythical creature of horror, nor does hollywood-style blood and gore put me off. But a really well-written psychological thriller will have me on the edge of my seat, the hair on my arms standing on end. Shutter Island was completely absorbing, Scoresese created the perfect atmosphere of eerie menace. I still have chills, hours later. I was definitely put in mind of both Hitchcock and Kubrik. The "twist" is brilliant (although I did kind of pick it about an hour in) - I won't ruin it for you by sharing, needless to say its not the sort of movie you could easily watch a second time, knowing the truth of what is going on.

I definitely do NOT recommend seeing this movie if you have ever had the misfortune of losing a child - it will cut far too close to home.

5 stars.

"What would you prefer - to live as a monster, or to die as a good man?"

5 comments:

  1. Eep! This made me scared just reading it. I want to see Shutter Island but I just know I will be covering my eyes 589034% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this tonight - definitely did not see the twist coming

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this last night and thought it was great. I had an inkling about the twist too (the part where he asks who 67 is) but it still made me think! I love thrillers and this movie is definitely high on my list. I thought the ending was quite sad, especially after all the build up (won't mention anything though for those that haven't seen it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh this is one movie I want to see - have to convince the boy to come with me

    xoxo
    wen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh Cate I totally agree with you about this movie, I thought it was phenomenal. I love the washed out greys and the moodiness of the whole thing, it reminded me a lot of Hitchcock too.

    Mez I thought the same thing too but it's not scary so much as gripping. I am a complete scaredy-cat too.

    ReplyDelete